Austin Disk Services is a highly available, easy to use, and secure online storage and sharing service, available to all current University of Texas at Austin faculty, students, and staff. This service enables users to store and share files from multiple operating systems, synchronize folders, and maintain a consistent interface from Windows machines using redirected folders.
This service enables departmental users to store and share files from multiple operating systems, synchronize folders, and maintain a consistent interface from Windows machines using redirected folders.
- Meets the minimum standards set by ISO for storing Confidential data using SMB over IPsec, secure WebDAV, or SFTP to connect
- Automatically synchronize work you do offline any time you log on with the Offline Folders feature of Microsoft Windows
- Automatically backs up your files twice per day to ensure your data is secure
- Supports end-user recovery of backups with compatible clients
Please see the SLO before storing protected research data on Austin Disk.
Effective September 1, 2017 the cost for Austin Disk shares, departmental and individual, will be $1.85 per GB per year. Departments can purchase disk space online, with a minimum allocation of 50 GB.
This document defines the service level agreement for Austin Disk Services (ADS).
Austin Disk Services (ADS) is an enterprise-level storage solution. Reliability is enhanced through clustered server hardware, Storage Area Network (SAN) architecture and backups to disk. Anti-virus software is installed and kept current, and security patches released by Microsoft are promptly installed. ADS includes:
- Backups twice per day to disk storage system that allow for end user recovery of files with the required client software. Backups are retained for 30 days
- Departmental control of bulk storage directories and permissions
- Online account management tools for home directory quota management
- Meets the minimum standards set by the Information Security Office for storing Confidential data
- The Information Security Office will periodically scan Austin Disk Services for certain types of sensitive data.
- Failed disks used by Austin Disk Services are destroyed according to the standard disk drive disposal process in ITS using a degausser.
Austin Disk Services MAY also be appropriate to use to store protected research data (i.e., data protected by International Traffic in Arms Regulations [ITAR]), but requestors are required to first consult with the Information Security Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to ensure that their specific grant requirements can be properly addressed by this service. By requesting and obtaining services on Austin Disk, the requestor is acknowledging that they have received all necessary information and obtained proper consultations and approvals. The requestors also have the responsibility to ensure that all those accessing the data stored on their Austin Disk shares are valid.
Austin Disk Service (ADS) can be used by students, faculty and staff.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system requirements for using ADS are:
OS X (10.8+)
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Departmental support staff and the UT Service Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance may occur weekly on Sundays from midnight until 6 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the Alerts and Outages page.
Change notification: ITS will notify customers using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues for the Austin Disk Service (ADS).
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
In addition, ADS users agree to:
- Read the Austin Disk documentation
- Provide contact information for the primary and secondary departmental TSCs as requested by ITS for support purposes
- Use supported client software
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues
- Manage quota utilization of personal shares
- Manage security permissions of personal shares
Departmental IT Support Staff agrees to:
- Provide ITS with contact information for departmental TSC through your ITS contact, and notify ITS of changes
- Designate at least one secondary TSC for each department
- Provide ITS with encryption requirements for the share (i.e. whether IPsec is to be enforced)
- Be familiar with the online documentation
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
- Manage quota utilization
- Manage security permissions