Pantheon Auto Update Service
Pantheon Web Hosting Auto Update Service
The Pantheon Web Hosting Auto Update service utilizes Pantheon's Autopilot feature to automatically detect and deploy updates for community-supported plugins/modules and site upstreams. This is an optional add-on to the Pantheon Web Hosting service, and costs $500/year.
Autopilot is available for use without this paid service. For more information on how to use Autopilot on your own sites, open a ticket by emailing email@example.com.
This service is available for most websites hosted on Pantheon, including:
- WordPress for Texas*
- Drupal (only if using Integrated Composer)
- UT Drupal Kit 3
* = WordPress plugins and themes must be updatable with WP-CLI in order to be updated with this service. Many premium/paid plugins cannot be updated via WP-CLI. For more information, open a ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to request Auto Update service
For a new site, select the option on the Pantheon go-live request form.
For an existing site, email email@example.com to request adding this service.
How does Auto Update work
For sites running Autopilot managed by ITS, a daily automation process will check for the following types of available updates:
- Upstream updates (Drupal or WordPress core)
- Theme updates
- Plugin/module updates
If any available updates are detected, they will be applied to the site in a separate testing environment where a basic visual regression test will be applied to the site's homepage. If no negative changes are detected, the changes will be automatically deployed to the site environment.
- Pantheon Autopilot cannot be configured to run at a particular time of day; your site may be updated at anytime.
- Pantheon Autopilot cannot modify custom code that is part of a site's repository, unless the site's codebase is managed with Composer and that custom code is available via Packagist.
- Site owners will not be notified that updates have been deployed.
- Autopilot is not compatible with many premium/paid WordPress plugins and themes. Plugins and themes must be updatable with WP-CLI in order to work with Autopilot.