UT ID Card Online Photo Submission Guidelines
The UT ID Card’s online photo submission process enables UT Austin students, faculty, staff, retirees, and sponsored affiliates to upload a photo to be used on their UT ID Card. When your photo is approved you will receive a confirmation email from the ID Center. If your photo is rejected, you will be provided instructions to submit an updated photo for review.
All photos are subject to approval and MUST meet the following requirements:
ID Card Photo Requirements
Following these requirements will lead to faster approval and eliminate the need to submit a second photo.
- Clear, in focus, digital color photo with uniform lighting, is properly exposed with no shadows, captures skin tones accurately, and taken in the last 6 months
- Full-face image, looking straight-on, centered, with squared shoulders to the camera and without head tilting
- Both eyes open with a neutral expression or natural smile
- Photo cropped from above the top of the head to just below the shoulders
- Photo may not be edited or changed in a way that alters identifiable facial features
- Visible shirt or blouse
Additional Requirements (if applicable):
- May wear prescription eyeglasses (without glare)
- May wear head coverings worn daily for religious beliefs or medical reasons as long as the item does not obscure facial features
- Do not submit a photo of another photo
- Do not wear a hat, mask, sunglasses, hoodie, headphones, or other accessories
- No inappropriate expressions or gestures
- Hair and shadows should not obscure face or eyes
Acceptable Photo Examples
|Natural Smile / No Glare||Neutral Expression||Natural Smile||Natural Smile|
Unacceptable Photo Examples
|Busy background / Eyes Closed / Hand Gesture / Unnatural Smile||Sunglasses||Hat / Low Light / Floating Head||Black & White Filter|
How to Submit Your ID Card Photo
If you submit multiple photos, multiple ID Cards may be printed and you will be financially responsible for any additional $10 card charges.
- Click on the “Submit Your Photo” button below
- Log in with your EID and password
- Approve multi-factor authentication request (DUO), if prompted
- Use your device (smart phone, tablet, etc.) to take your photo (selfie) or upload a recent existing photo
- Compare your photo to the requirements
- A Helper Bot will give you instant feedback on your photo and will auto rotate / crop your photo once you upload it
- You will see a "Pending Approval" notification above your photo, indicating your photo has been submitted for approval
After your photo is submitted:
- After you finalize and submit your photo, ID Center staff will review your submission during business hours
- You will be notified via email whether your photo was accepted or rejected by the ID Center
- If your submission is rejected, review the reasons provided before submitting a new photo
- If your submission is rejected multiple times, please contact the ID Center for assistance
- Your photo will then be downloaded and available for ID Center Staff to print on your ID Card. Wait to visit the ID Center until you receive an email stating that your ID Card has been printed and is ready for pickup. It can take a full business day before your ID Card will be ready.
Please visit the ID Center ONLY AFTER you receive an email confirming
that your ID card has been printed and is available for pick up.
When a photograph is submitted for the issuance of a UT ID Card, the digitized photo will be stored electronically for identification and security purposes. Identification information collected for the production of the ID card and may be used by the University of Texas to verify identity, support the safety and security of campus resources, and support the mission of the University.