UT Lists - Service Upgrade
The UT Lists service administrators will upgrading the underlying infrastructure of the UT Lists service, to bring the software and operations of the service up to date from version 5.2.4 to 6.2.24. During the upgrade period mailing list message delivery will be suspended.
The upgrade is scheduled from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 2nd.
- FYI Presentation
- Production Upgrade: Saturday, June 2nd from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Top New Features/Changes
- New, responsive look and feel
- Workarounds for DMARC-related bounces from services such as Yahoo
- List activity logs for list owners
- Bug fixes and enhancements
- Updated service platform
What Remains the Same
Every effort is being made to make the service upgrade as transparent as possible.
- Mailing list names, subscriptions, ownerships and archives will not change
- All current mailing list data will be migrated to the new service environment
- No action is required from mailing list owners and subscribers
Enhancements for all Users
- New, responsive look and feel
- More secure, Web-based password reset process
- Passwords may be longer than 8 characters
Enhancements for List Owners/Moderators
- Decreased amount of legitimate messages that are bounced; DMARC workarounds allow for better handling of bounces created by external DMARC-based mail security policies
- List owners can view logs of mailing list activity, including subscriptions, bounce handling, and message distributions
- List moderators can now moderate messages via the web interface, in addition to the existing mail interface moderation
- Ability to store more archived messages; 1GB list archive quota (previous quota 250 MB)
- Mail personalization: Documentation
- The subscriber dump command now shows all subscribers instead of only the first page
- Messages with the "Auto-Submitted" header are now suppressed as representing potential mail system loops. Scheduled job errors generated by the Linux "cron" subsystem feature this header and therefore are suppressed. Linux system administrators who forward "root" mail through UT Lists are affected the most by this change. A workaround may be possible but will not be available immediately.
Q: Why are you performing this upgrade?
A: To incorporate the latest version of Sympa software into the UT Lists environment, and to improve service operations by using a more modern infrastructure.
Q: Can I get the familiar left side menu back? Where is the list of lists?
A: As part of the new look and feel, some interface items have been moved or renamed. To access your list of lists, click on the menu button at the top right and select the item labeled "My Lists".
Q: I see some new Sympa features in the detailed feature list are not yet enabled in the upgraded UT Lists environment. Why?
A: We are focusing on providing a stable and successful upgrade for the existing UT Lists service first. New Sympa 6.2 features that may be enabled at a future date depending on user demand, security evaluation, resource constraints and governance review include:
- Member pictures
- HTML mail composer
New Look and Feel Examples
Please contact the UT Service Desk online at https://ut.service-now.com/utss or by calling 512-475-9400