Managed IT Support (MITS)
Managed IT Support (MITS) provides colleges, schools and departmental units with customer-focused information technology resources and support. Friendly, knowledgeable staff who understand your technical environment and work with you to meet your business needs.
By implementing an efficient, cost-contained approach to fully managed IT support, this team of experts can use a variety of tools and approaches to deploy applications, updates and patches, detect problems and troubleshoot computer issues. We also deploy new hardware, facilitate computer life-cycle and inventory control, and provide support for individuals and the applications they use.
- Predictable, cost-contained approach to fully managing desktop support requirements.
- Implementation of mandated UT security policies.
- Centralized security management, tracking, performance monitoring and reporting.
- Providing remote and onsite support, repair and problem resolution for the customer.
- Coordinating with other ITS Departments as needed.
Pricing is based on a combination of average staff salaries, the skill level necessary to provide needed support, and the average amount of time spent supporting different types of equipment. All prices are for an annual contract.
Pricing will be reviewed annually. For more detailed information on how prices are set, please see the ITS Rate Change Policies. If you have any questions, please contact Terry Gibson, email@example.com.
This Service Level Agreement (SLA) defines the services and service levels between the service provider, ITS Customer Support Services, Managed IT Support (MITS), and the customers of that service (Customer). Eligible customers are the units, departments and colleges internal to the University of Texas at Austin.
Managed IT Support (MITS) provides an efficient, cost-contained approach for colleges, schools and units to offer fully managed IT support. MITS starts with friendly, knowledgeable staff who understand your technical environment. This team of experts is supported by a technical infrastructure that allows us to deploy applications, updates and patches, as well as detect problems.
Managed IT Support customers
Supported Computing Environment
Managed IT Support provides desktop support for faculty and staff in colleges, schools and units campus-wide.
Managed IT Support is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding all holidays and university closures.
Customers can contact Managed IT Support for remote and local support:
1. UT Service Desk (512) 475-9406
2. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Submit a ServiceNow ticket
1.Requests for support will be fulfilled based on priorities (Critical, High, Medium, Low) which are determined by urgency and level of impact.
2. Response is defined as a “good faith” effort to communicate with the customer using the contact information provided by that customer. Response may be via phone or voice mail, e-mail, or personal visit.
3. Service Level response times to service requests are measured once a request is submitted via ServiceNow, the ITS incident tracking system. Other forms of contact may affect the ability of ITS to meet the requests in a timely fashion.
Direct emails to individual support personnel
Direct phone calls to individual support personnel
Status Definitions with Initial Response Times
Critical - Within 15 minutes: Catastrophic inability to complete job duties. Example: computer does not turn on or boot up properly.
High - Within 1 business hour: Loss of a major job duty. Example: E-mail not working, not connected to internet, inability to print at all. VoIP (basic) not working, no phone service. Example: cannot receive incoming calls and cannot make outgoing calls.
Medium - Within 4 business hours: There is a problem to be solved, but customer is still functional and has other options available. Example: Desktop printer is not working, but customer has access to departmental printers. VoIP (basic) phone working but voice mail not working.
Low - Within 9 business hours: General request or other tasks not time sensitive. Example: Customer request a quote for a new machine. General requests for VoIP (basic), such as, feature changes, phone relocation, adding/changing service, and new phone.
Academic Technology Services (ATS) provides regular security and updates to common software applications and operating systems. Desktops and laptops are enrolled in patch management to receive updates.
Customer responsibilities in support of this agreement include:
- The customer is the owner of their data, and must categorize that data according to university data standard.
- Request help and services defined in Technical Support of this SLA.
- Respond to MITS staff inquiries in a professional and timely manner.
- Maintain compliance with all software licensing requirements.
- Adhere to relevant University acceptable use and security policies and standards.
- Department contacts review and approve departmental personnel administrative access to supported systems, based on business requirements.
- Retain ownership and responsibility for completing Information Security Office Risk Assessment (ISORA) within the requirements set by the Information Security Office for the University of Texas at Austin.
- Provide ITS with physical access to supported systems.
MITS responsibilities in support of this agreement include:
- Ensure managed hosts meet standards established by UT policies, including acceptable use and security mandates.
- Effectively and efficiently deploy operating systems, applications, software patches and updates.
- Establish real time monitoring of device performance, compliance and inventory.
- Minimize disruptions of customer production when desktop maintenance and support operations are performed.
- Provide recommendations on hardware life cycle.
- Maintain a hardware inventory.
- Coordinate maintenance, repair, and/or replacement for in-warranty hardware.
- Assist customer in completing their annual reporting of the Information Security Office Risk Assessment (ISORA).
- Coordinate, troubleshoot and resolve VoIP & network issues.
- Advise customers on security, networking or information technology best practices, policies, or requirements.
Customer on boarding and off boarding requests.
If you have an employee, who is new to your department or departing the department, please use this request to contact Managed IT Support. This request is for Managed IT Support customers only.
Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
UT Service Desk staff may escalate requests as needed.
Technical support is available during normal business hours:
M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
UT Service Desk
Direct Email email@example.com