Voice Mail & Auto-Attendants (AA)
UT Voice Mail
The University offers voice mail service at no charge. Voice mail accounts can be accessed by phone or web. Subscribers can manage a variety of settings including caller transfer-out, multiple greetings, automatically forwarding messages to email, etc. Please see the UT Voice Mail wiki for more information.
NOTE: When ordering new telephone lines, you have have the option of adding voice mail at the same time, in the Telephone Request form. For voice-mail-only requests (for existing lines), use the Voice Mail Request button below to add, reassign, or cancel service, or to reset PINs.
Automated Attendants (AA)
An automated attendant is a “virtual receptionist” telephone treatment that greets callers and presents them with a menu of options such as transferring to faculty/staff phones, listening to recorded announcements, leaving a message in a voice mailbox, or accessing a submenu. An auto-attendant can be implemented to immediately answer all calls to your published number, or it can be set up as a back-up treatment for a live receptionist (picks up the call when the line is busy or unanswered). Optional treatments based on daily, weekly or holiday schedules are available.
IMPORTANT: When ordering new telephone lines, you have have the option of adding voice mail at the same time, in the Telephone Request form. For voice-mail-only requests (for existing lines), use the Request button at right to add, reassign, or cancel service, or to reset PINs. When filling out the request form, please provide the following information in the Additional Comments field, as well as any additional comments (such as greeting-only box, or fax options):
- Phone number needing voice mail
- Name associated with phone number
- Email address of person needing voice mail
- Voice mail option (see below).
Voice mail options (feel free to use the codes):
- A = Add new mailbox
- R = Replace existing mailbox (cleanest option for new subscriber, but you may lose messages)
- P = PIN reset only (we’ll send a list of settings to check in case it’s for a new subscriber)
- C = Cancel service
- Standard message-taking mailboxes
- Message-waiting indication by light on phone or email (including to cell phone)
- Telephone and web access
- Automatically forward voice messages to email
- Caller transfer-out option
- Toggle between standard and out-of-office greetings
- Announce-only mailboxes
- Fax options
N/C. UTVM is a common good service.
Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
UT Service Desk staff may escalate requests as needed.
Technical support is available during normal business hours:
M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
UT Service Desk
Direct Email email@example.com
HOW TO ORDER: For consultation and planning for the provisioning and implementation of an auto-attendant, please call the Auto-Attendant Admin at 512 471-0019. Once the attendant is designed and scripted, use the Request button at right to formalize the request and provide an account number.
- Answer simultaneous calls (up to three by default, or more at additional cost).
- Present callers with a menu of options.
- Transfer to submenus (if needed).
- Transfer to faculty/staff phones, or off-campus.
- Present a directory of faculty/staff names and extensions, allowing immediate extension dialing.
- Transfer directly into a voice mailbox.
- Play recorded announcements (e.g., location and hours, event info, answers to FAQs).
- Schedule different greetings and/or menus based on time-of-day, day-of-week or holidays.
Installation Charge: $194.00
Installation Charge: $65.00
Monthly Charge: $10.95
Installation Charge: $23.00
Monthly Charge: N/C