Austin Disk Services is a highly available, easy to use, and secure online storage and sharing service, available to all current University of Texas at Austin faculty, students, and staff. This service enables users to store and share files across multiple operating systems, with access controls and data restores.
This service enables departmental users to store and share files from multiple operating systems, synchronize folders, and maintain a consistent interface from Windows machines using redirected folders.
- Meets the minimum standards set by ISO for storing Confidential data using SMB over IPsec, secure WebDAV, or SFTP to connect
- Automatically synchronize work you do offline any time you log on with the Offline Folders feature of Microsoft Windows
- Automatically backs up your files twice per day to ensure your data is secure
- Supports end-user recovery of backups with compatible clients
Please see the SLO before storing protected research data on Austin Disk.
Effective September 1, 2021 the cost for Austin Disk departmental shares will be $0.60 per GB per year. Departments can purchase disk space online with a minimum allocation of 50 GB.
This document defines the service level objective for Austin Disk Services (ADS).
Austin Disk Services (ADS) is an enterprise-level storage solution. Reliability is enhanced through the use of Amazon FSx for Microsoft Windows Server file systems in the AWS cloud. ADS includes:
- Supports end user data recovery using the "Previous Versions" feature on Windows OS clients. Backups are retained for approximately 30 days.
- Departmental control of bulk storage directories and permissions
- Meets the minimum standards set by the Information Security Office for storing Confidential data
- The Information Security Office will periodically scan Austin Disk Services for certain types of sensitive data.
Austin Disk Services MAY also be appropriate to use to store protected research data (i.e., data protected by International Traffic in Arms Regulations [ITAR]), but requestors are required to first consult with the Information Security Office (email@example.com) to ensure that their specific grant requirements can be properly addressed by this service. By requesting and obtaining services on Austin Disk, the requestor is acknowledging that they have received all necessary information and obtained proper consultations and approvals. The requestors also have the responsibility to ensure that all those accessing the data stored on their Austin Disk shares are valid.
Austin Disk Service (ADS) can be used by students, faculty and staff.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system requirements for using ADS are:
macOS Monterey and later
RHEL 7 and later
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Departmental support staff may escalate issues directly to the UT Service Desk Tier 2.
ITS will notify department contacts about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using either the Alerts and Outages page or via email of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance may occur weekly on Sundays from midnight until 6 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on either the Alerts and Outages page or via email.
Change notification: ITS will notify department contacts using either the Alerts and Outages page or via email of service availability and service delivery issues for the Austin Disk Service (ADS).
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
In addition, ADS users and Departmental IT Support Staff agree to:
- Read the Austin Disk documentation
- Provide and update contact information for the primary and secondary departmental TSCs as requested by ITS for support purposes
- Provide and update contact information for share subscription administration and billing purposes
- Use supported client software
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues
- Manage share size utilization
- Manage security permissions