You may use this for any SharePoint related request.
- Technical issues
- New Online site
- Consultation request
All new sites will be provisioned online.
For new requests, simply provide a site name and technical contact.
- Naming scheme: http://utexas.sharepoint.com\sites\YoUrTeAmNaMeHeRe
Site migration info: https://utexas.sharepoint.com/SitePages/SharePoint.aspx
- Empower teamwork
- Quickly find information
- Seamlessly collaborate across the organization
- Routine work request acknowledgment response time: 1 business day
- Review and response to pending open requests: 5 business days
- Availability: 99%
This document defines the service level agreement for SharePoint on-premises
SharePoint on-premises is a Web application and services platform. SharePoint comprises a multipurpose set of Web technologies backed by a common technical infrastructure. SharePoint can be used to provide internet portals, document and file management, collaboration, social networks, extranets, websites, enterprise search, and business intelligence.
There are two available SharePoint platforms at UT.
- SharePoint Online is the primary instance, integrated with Office 365 (Microsoft 365)
- Recommended platform
- No associated costs
- SharePoint on-premises
- Fee for Service
- Legacy instance that meets business requirements or functionality unavailable with SharePoint Online
Supported computing environment
SharePoint supports commonly used web browsers, such as Edge, Brave, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. However, certain web browsers could cause some SharePoint functionality to be downgraded, limited, or available only through alternative steps. Active X controlled functions are not supported.
SharePoint provides mobile support for iOS and Android. For a list of supported device browsers for SharePoint and Office Web Apps please see supported devices.
Technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day. There will be at least one departmental Administrators designated for each SharePoint site.
An Administrator must have a valid UT EID and be validated for Austin services. The Administrator will be granted control permissions and the ability to create and administer sub-sites. The Administrator will be responsible for implementing access permissions to sub-sites, users, files, etc. within their site. The Administrator is also responsible for communicating with site users about maintenance, outages, migrations and upgrades.
End users should start with Tier 1 for technical support. The site Administrator provides Tier 1 support for this service. The UT Service Desk can be contacted at 512-475-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org and can provide basic support.
Site Administrators may escalate issues to ITS Help Desk Tier II. Request SharePoint Services Tier 2 support from The UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400 email@example.com.
Site Administrators and the UT Service Desk Tier 2 may escalate issues to Tier 3.
Tier 3 can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. ServiceNow Assignee Group: ITS-CSOL-SharePoint.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled SharePoint maintenance occurs weekly on Sundays from midnight to 6 a.m, Tuesdays from 10:00 PM to midnight, and Fridays from 10:00 PM to midnight. Additionally, the Microsoft SQL database servers have monthly scheduled maintenance on the first Wednesday from 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM. SharePoint may be impacted by database server maintenance. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the Alerts and Outages page.
Change notification: ITS will notify customers using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues for SharePoint.
Site collection retention
When a SharePoint site collection subscription is canceled, the site collection is disabled. The site collection enters a 90 day retention period. During the retention period the site collection still exists, but the user will be unable to access it. After 90 days, the site collection will be deleted.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
SharePoint subscribers agree to:
- Read the SharePoint documentation.
- Provide contact information for primary and secondary departmental site administrator as requested by ITS for support purposes.
- Patch desktops as recommended by the vendor.
- Use supported client software.
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
- The Information Security Office has determined that SharePoint on-premises meets the minimum security standards to host Confidential data (historically referred to as Category I). However, it is the responsibility of each individual SharePoint site owner to ensure the confidentiality of their data by configuring authorizations properly (e.g., access to Confidential data is restricted to authorized individuals).
In addition to the items listed above, departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Provide Tier 1 support for users of sites and sub-sites under their administration, including individuals designated with sub-site configuration privileges.
- Communicate support channels and instructions for receiving support to end users.
- Follow prescribed procedures for arranging support assistance.
Backup and restoration
Full SharePoint on-premises site backup and recovery policies are in place. These are automatically scheduled at the database server level. Database backups occur throughout each day and stored for two weeks. To recover lost data a ticket may be opened requesting a recovery of your site and a restoration process can begin. Small scale recovery such as documents, items, objects and lists are saved in a Recycle Bin for 30 days and can be recovered by your Site Collection Admin.