Microsoft SQL Server
ITS offers standards-based, professionally managed SQL Server database systems including hardware, software, and system administration for University of Texas customers. The Microsoft SQL Server database servers may be used for websites, commercial applications, and custom applications designed and built by the customer.
The central Microsoft SQL Server database servers are shared to minimize cost and ensure efficient use of the service resources. This service provides three database environments to support the full application development life cycle. The included environments are Development, Quality Assurance (QA), and Production. This service includes database/system administration, database backups and recovery, and monitoring.
Please use the below forms for Microsoft SQL Databases:
General Microsoft SQL Server Request: Use this form to submit a general request for an existing database.
Create New Microsoft SQL Server Database: Use this form to request the creation of a new database.
Delete Existing Microsoft SQL Server Database: Use this form to request the deletion of an existing database.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 environment with AlwaysOn Availability Group configuration
- 10 gigabytes of storage space on the central Microsoft SQL Server database servers
- Daily production backups (at minimum) with a four week retention
- Ability to safely store Confidential Data in databases
- Access to the ITS Database team for advice and troubleshooting
In the Fully Managed infrastructure, ITS owns, manages, and supports the SQL Server hardware and host server software resources.The Fully Managed ITS shared SQL Server service is recommended for departments, colleges, or other groups that require SQL Server database service. ITS provides the hardware, software, and staff resources to manage the central SQL Server infrastructure. It is also recommended for those who may be using Confidential Data in their databases.
If you have a requirement to store Confidential Data or HIPAA data, there may be additional reviews imposed by the Information Security Office and University Compliance Services to make sure that all appropriate controls are in place.
ITS provides the Microsoft SQL Server shared database infrastructure with University staff and faculty as a centrally funded service. Dedicated databases and / or additional storage, as well as selected special circumstances, may incur additional costs. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Availability: 99.5%
- Routine work request acknowledgment response time: 1 business day
- Review and response to pending open requests: 5 business days
This document defines the service level agreement for Microsoft SQL Server. Please refer to the ITS Database SLA for full details.
SQL Server is an enterprise level database solution. It is recommended when a robust database solution is required. The ITS Database team offers standards-based professionally managed database systems including hardware, software, and system administration to University of Texas Customers for Microsoft SQL Server Database Services. This service provides three database environments that include Development, Quality Assurance (QA), and Production. This service includes database/system administration, database backups and recovery, and monitoring.
Microsoft SQL Server can be used by faculty, staff, and students sponsored by a faculty or staff member.
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
Any user can call the UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400. External users should send an email message to the UT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, which will create a support ticket. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual. The UT Service Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2 staff.
Any user can call the UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400. Internal users may send an email message to email@example.com or submit a General Request on the ServiceNow Microsoft SQL Server service page for service requests that do not require immediate attention to reach Tier 2 support directly.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs first Wednesday of every month from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the Alerts and Outages page.
Change notification: ITS will notify customers using the Alerts and Outages page of service availability and service delivery issues for Microsoft SQL Server.
Daily backups are created and have a 14 day retention period for production and a minimum 7 day retention for Dev/Qual.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy. Please refer to the ITS Database SLA for full details. Please also see the Policies tab for this service.
Microsoft SQL Server subscribers agree to:
- Regularly check email for service announcements.
- Provide and maintain contact information for primary and secondary departmental TSCs along with other contact information as defined in the ITS Database SLA.
- Patch desktops as recommended by the vendor.
- Use supported client software.
- Provide critical information within four hours of receiving a request from ITS seeking to resolve a customer issue.
Departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Maintain knowledge of the currently installed version of Oracle and its features.
- Regularly check email for service announcements.
- Provide and maintain contact information with ITS for support purposes as defined in the ITS Database SLA.
- Assign and provide ITS with contact information for a secondary TSC that will assume all responsibilities of the primary TSC when the primary TSC is unavailable.
- For purposes of resolving customer issues, be willing and available to provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested.
- Provide Tier 1 support for the department.