Getting Started with Modules
What are modules, and how are they used?
Modules allow instructors to centralize and consolidate all their course content and materials in one place. Everything from files and assignments, to quizzes, discussions and links to external web sites can be placed and arranged to facilitate easy access for your students.
By centralizing your content in one place, you can hide any course navigation links that you are not using. It is important to note several areas within Canvas (e.g., Files and Pages) are displayed alpha-numerically.
This will accomplish the following:
- Cut down on student emails asking where to find content
- Afford you behind the scenes areas to develop course content, by hiding links such as Quizzes, Pages, Files, and Assignments
- Simplify your left hand course navigation to only links that will be essential for student success
Modules within Canvas give a course structure and allow an instructor to control the flow of the course. Modules can be locked based on a date or require pre-requisites to assure students only have access to content when they should.
To add a Module:
- In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.
- Click the +Module button and give the new module a name
- Click the Add Item button. (+)
Click the Add drop-down menu and select one of the following item types:
If you want to add a new item, click the [New] link and type a name in the name field.
Depending on the item type, when adding new content you may be asked to complete additional fields.
- If you have already created the item you want to add, click the name of the item. You can select more than one item to add by using Shift and/or Control keyboard commands.
Additional details and options available can be found in the photo tutorial located here.