Office 365: Application Eligibility, Set Up, and Access
Office 365 is best known for the email service it provides, but there are several other powerful tools that are either available now or will become available soon.
- Exchange Online -- enterprise-class email, calendar and contacts with a 50 GB inbox.
- Office Pro Plus -- Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, available to all faculty, staff and students
- Skype for Business -- features instant messaging, online meetings (including video conferencing up to 6 concurrent users), and screen sharing all in one app that works with Office Online.
- SharePoint Online (available upon request) -- create team sites for easy document collaboration including permissions and versioning.
- OneDrive -- cloud-based storage service that allows easy access to your files, from anywhere, on any device.
- Office Online -- collaborative editing of Office documents in your web browser.
- MS Teams -- ‘persistent’ and searchable chat ideally suited for teams or projects (targeted for availability during fall 2017 semester)
- Power BI* -- suite of business analytics tools with rich dashboards (targeted for availability during fall 2017 semester)
- Microsoft Project Online* -- create, track and report on projects (targeted for availability during fall 2017 semester)
*Access to advanced features will require separate annual licensing cost
How Do I Set Up My Skype for Business Account?
Login to Microsoft Applications using your university branded email address and password.
Users who have an Office 365 mailbox are eligible for a Skype for Business account. It can be downloaded using the instructions below.
For general assistance, you can refer to the Microsoft Support Page for Skype for Business.
Download and Set Up
To download Skype for Business:
1. Visit https://office365.austin.utexas.edu
2. Click Office 365 Portal
3. Enter UT EID and password to sign in
4. Click Settings at he top of the page
5. Office 365 Settings
7. Skype for Business
Skype for Business Manual Account Configuration
If automatic configuration does not work, here are steps for manual configuration of the Skype for Business Client:
1. Enter your primary email address to sign in
2. Click the gear settings icon at the top of the screen
3. Choose Personal
4. Click Advanced
5. Select Manual Configuration
6. Internal Server Name: sipdir.online.lync.com:443
External Server Name: sipdir.online.lync.com:443
7. Click OK until you return to the sign in page.
Skype for Business Video Tutorials
What Am I Eligible For?
Office 2016 Education is available to current Students and Faculty of the university to install on personal devices free of charge using their @austin.utexas.edu or @utexas.edu address and password.
1. Visit https://office365.austin.utexas.edu/
2. Select Office 365 Portal to view applications available to you for download and use
3. Click Other Installs to view additional applications available to you
Need Help with other Office 365 applications?
Check out Microsoft training and support documentation links below for FAQs, training resources, and tutorials!