Oracle Licensing under UT System Agreement
The University of Texas System has entered into a volume licensing agreement with Oracle Corporation and has two site license programs: 1) for certain database and database related items (the PCL program); and 2) for PeopleSoft academic portfolio. This article will describe the agreement and PCL program.
The agreement may also be used as the contracting instrument when acquiring any (non-cloud, non-subscription) Oracle products. There is a minimum discount of 50% for products and for Campus-wide eligible products (database/technology product list below) the minimum discount is 90%. These discounts apply to all UT entities.
PCL Site Licensing
Under this Oracle agreement, site licensing is in place across the entire UT System for the following products:
- Oracle Database Enterprise Edition
- Oracle Multitenant
- Oracle GoldenGate
- Oracle Active Data Guard
- Oracle Partitioning
- Oracle Enterprise Manager - Tuning Pack
- Oracle Enterprise Manager - Diagnostic pack
- Real Application Clusters (RAC)
- Advanced Security Option (ASO)
Annual technical support fees for these system-wide site licensed products are divided among the UT System institutions. It is up to each institution to determine how these fees will be divided among its users/departments. There is no true-up process for these above products unless there is a significant reorganization of the UT System.
Under this agreement and the PCL, each campus , academic or health, can obtain site licensing for individual products not already site licensed in the Campus-wide eligible list; an institution decides whether to site license either under PCL provisions (no true-ups) or campus-wide provisions (True-ups required). In order to purchase a site license, a campus must purchase licensing for all full-time and part-time students, faculty, and staff. Exact pricing is subject to various factors but is to be discounted at least 90% off of the Oracle Global Price List. A subset of products covered by the PCL already have a price hold discussed later in the article.
Campuses can choose from the following products available for Campus-wide or PCL style site licensing1:
- Oracle Database2: Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition2, NoSQL Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition Options: Multitenant3, Real Application Clusters3, Partitioning3 Active Data Guard3, Real Application Testing, Advanced Compression, Advanced Security Option3, Label Security, Database Vault , OLAP, Advanced Analytics
- Enterprise Management Options: Diagnostics Pack3, Tuning Pack3, Lifecycle Management Pack, Data Masking Pack, Test Data Management pack, Cloud Management Pack
- Application Server2 : Weblogic Server Standard, Weblogic Server Enterprise Edition, Weblogic Suite, Internet Application Server Standard, Internet Application Server Enterprise, SOA Suite for Middleware
- Application Server Enterprise Management Options: Weblogic Management pack, SOA Management pack, Management pack for GoldenGate
- Data Integration: Data Integrator Enterprise, GoldenGate3, GoldenGate for Non-Oracle Database
- Other Products: Webcenter Suite Plus, Webcenter Portal, Management Pack for Webcenter, Identity and Access Management Suite, Identity Governance Suite, Directory Services Plus, Access Management Suite Plus, Management pack for Identity Management, Real User Experience Insight
1 This listing as of May 2020
2 Site licensing for Enterprise Editions includes usage rights for the lower editions (Personal, Standard, etc.) as well NoSQL basic edition
3 Already site licensed for the entire UT System
4 Already site licensed for the UT Austin campus
Through 28 May 2025, there is a price hold minimum for the following products: GoldenGate for non-Oracle Db, Db lifecycle Management, Db in-memory, Cloud Management pack for Db, Internet Application Server EE, Management Pack for GoldenGate and Data Masking and Subsetting Pack.
Departments interested in purchasing non-cloud/non-subscription products not licensed above are able to do so under this agreement. Perpetual licenses and the first year of updates and/or product support can be purchased at a discount rate of at least 50% off of the Oracle Global Price List (or 90% minimum discount if part of campus-wide site licensing above list)
For a complete listing of available products, product description, licensing prerequisites, and migration path information, please see the Global Price List Supplement.
Technical Support (which includes Software updates, Product Support, and other Technical Support) for licenses purchased under this agreement is typically renewed annually, although you can get up to a 5 year price hold for a 5 year support order. For technical support on site licensed products, you may be required to pay annual adjustments if your population counts increase, unless covered by PCL licensing.
For more information on Oracle's current Technical Support policies and offerings, please see Oracle Technical Support Policies.
UTSYSTEM provides access to Oracle Support through two established CSIs, one for the PCL program and one for PeopleSoft:
21820704 support identifier is used for tickets submitted for:
- Oracle Database – Enterprise Edition
- Oracle Multitenant
- Oracle GoldenGate / Active Data Guard
- Advanced Security Option
- Oracle Partitioning
- Real Application Clusters
- Diagnostics Pack
- Tuning Pack
15921219 applies to everything else such as PeopleSoft and Hyperion. These products are not currently used by UT Austin. If you have a product outside of our site licensing, it will have its own CSI number.
Requesting Access to My Oracle Supoprt
Go here and register with your UT Austin affiliated email address: https://profile.oracle.com/myprofile/account/create-account.jspx
Once the account is set up, you will need to add the Support identifiers – this can be done in a few ways
Support identifier 21820704
Organization name- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SYSTEM
Sometimes it will automatically ask you when you create the account to add a support identifier- use the above information and this will link your account to the CSI number
If it does not automatically come up after you register your account, follow the below steps to add the Support identifier
- Sign into My Oracle Support with the credentials you just set up
- Click your name at the top right hand corner- a drop down menu will appear
- Click on “My Account” in the drop down menu
- Under the Support Identifiers box, click on “Request Access…” button
- On next screen, add support Identifier 21820704 and then press the request access button- (note to approver does not need to be filled out)
- On the next screen, fill in the blank to be: THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SYSTEM, and then press submit
- An email will be autogenerated to the Admins on the account and they will approve your access- you should get an email once that happens.
- You will see this Identifier associated to your account after you sign out and sign back under your account information:
Oracle Academic Initiative and Workforce Development Program
Under this agreement, teaching departments at schools in the UT System may participate in the Oracle Academic Initiative (OAI) and/or the Oracle Workforce Development Program (WDP) for instructional purposes. There is no membership fee provided the teaching department incorporates Oracle programs into its classroom teaching. For more information, and to register for these programs, please see
Oracle University Courses
Please see Training and Education.
Cost and Eligibility
This agreement covers all institutions in The University of Texas System as well as the UT System Office. Only departments may purchase under this agreement, but all faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students are licensed to use site license covered products on University-owned systems.
For reference, the Oracle Global Price List, which is updated annually, is available here. Please note, the below indicates the list price before discount.
Pricing for all purchases is subject to the most current price lists as maintained by Oracle Corporation. Departments should contact Oracle for quotes and updated pricing information.
The Oracle master agreement primary term is in effect at least through May 30, 2023
Products licensed under this agreement are permanently licensed. If, in the future, this agreement lapses and is not renewed, departments will be able to continue to run licensed products at the version current as of the termination of the agreement.
Advice When Ordering:
- What is NOT in the Amendment: we were unable to get year over year caps for all oracle products with regards to annual support (SULS in Oracle terms). Oracle says they only do that in order docs now. If, you do a direct order with Oracle make sure to include:
- Cap on year over year increases for your annual support. Try for ten years with most of the early years being 0% and not rising over 2-3% towards end of cap. It takes a sizable order though to get ten year of control
- Get a price hold in case you need to license more product in the future (assuming you are buying product)
- Note: Audit Vault and Database Firewall licensed for UT Austin (through 28 May 2021) and MDACC only (MDACC will cover its costs starting 29 May 2021).
For additional information and details, please refer directly to the agreement.
- Oracle Master Agreement 2004
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment One
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Two
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Three
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Four
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Five
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Six
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Seven
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Eight
- Oracle Master Agreement - Amendment Nine
- Appendix B - Global Price List
- Appendix C - Price List Supplement
- Appendix D - Migration Matrix
- Appendix E - Sample Ordering Document
- Appendix F - Professional Services Rates
- Appendix G Part 1, Part 2 - Professional Services Ordering Documents
- Appendix H - Education Unit Rates
- Appendix I - Affiliates
Note for health institutions: The Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) Oracle agreement contained certain restrictive provisions specific to health institutions. Under this agreement, those provisions have been lifted. Specifically, health institutions can use covered products for clinical applications and are no longer subject to discount caps (in other words, the full discount applies the same to academic as well as health institutions).
Referencing this agreement
When requesting an ordering document, and on all purchase orders submitted to Oracle, you must reference "UT System Oracle Master Agreement 2004 (2004C00902)" in order to receive discounts available under this agreement.
Licensing for additional products
Please refer to the Oracle Global Price List and Price List supplement for pricing and product descriptions. The Price List Supplement includes important information about any prerequisite products you must have licensed as well as details on what ships with the purchase of a given license.
To purchase, departments should contact one of our Oracle representatives. Oracle will then provide an ordering document with quoted price. Products can be purchased by submitting the completed ordering document to Oracle along with a purchase order. You can find a sample ordering document in Appendix E of the Oracle Master Agreement.
Media will be available for download from the Oracle Technology Network (TechNet). Your installation and use of software products downloaded from the TechNet is subject to the terms of this agreement in addition to terms on the TechNet site. Running software for which you are not licensed is a violation of federal copyright law and subject to prosecution. It is the University’s policy to prohibit software piracy and copyright infringement.
Customers who would rather receive physical media can purchase CD Packs at the Oracle Store. Please note that Oracle CD Packs often include product bundles, and you may receive products for which you are not licensed. These products may come with a 30 day trial license, but you must purchase a full license to use them beyond the trial period.