Defects, Enhancements and Ideas - Definitions & Processes
Below you will find definitions of Defects, Enhancements and Ideas in ServiceNow and the process the ServiceNow team uses to address them.
A defect is defined as when any originally customer-defined or out-of-the-box functionality is broken. (Missed requirements are considered Enhancements.) Defects should be reported to the ServiceNow team as an incident:
Report a Problem with ServiceNow (Fulfillers)
Create an Incident in ServiceNow describing the issue and assign it to ITS-CSS-ServiceNow.
Report a Problem with ServiceNow (End Users)
- Please do not write directly to the ServiceNow team for defects—instead open a ticket!
- The ServiceNow team prioritizes critical defects ahead of enhancements and will work immediately to resolve them.
- Defects that impact end users (customers) are prioritized ahead of defects that only impact fulfillers.
- Defects that have an acceptable workaround will go into the normal sprint cycle and will be addressed within a release.
- Critical fixes are pushed to production on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
An enhancement is a feature, functionality, or anything else that was not defined as part of original requirements but applies to existing data, forms, or workflows you are already using in ServiceNow.
- Requests for enhancements should be made through the service catalog.
- Please do not write directly to the ServiceNow team for enhancement requests—instead open a request!
An Idea is a suggestion for a feature or functionality unrelated to existing data, forms and workflows your department is already using in ServiceNow.
- When submitting ideas, include as much information as possible to help the ServiceNow team assess the feasibility of your idea more efficiently. Include a use case if possible.
- The ServiceNow team will review and sort Idea submissions regularly and give you feedback.
- Submit an Idea to ServiceNow