Creating a Sandbox Site
Before making a sandbox site you must have a developer account. Request Developer Access
To create a new sandbox site:
- Log in to your Pantheon dashboard using the single sign-on method with your eid.utexas.edu email - https://dashboard.pantheon.io
- Click the "Create Site" button on your user dashboard
- Supply a site name and click "Continue"
- The site name will be used in the Pantheon "platform domain" for your DEV, TEST, and LIVE environments (e.g. "My Awesome Site" becomes "https://dev-my-awesome-site.pantheonsite.io").
- Once a sandbox site is promoted to a paid site plan, a custom domain can be connected to the Live environment (https://pantheon.io/docs/guides/launch/domains/)
- We recommend that you select a consistent prefix for your department/organization and prefix all of your site names accordingly (e.g., “laits,” “libraries”)
- Next, you will be given options to select an organizational distribution, site type, or site distribution on which to base your new site:
- Custom Distributions: UT Drupal Kit and WordPress for Texas are the ITS-supported distributions which include UT-branded themes and the necessary modules to enable SAML authentication with Enterprise Authentication.
- Site Types: developers not wishing to use an organizational distribution can select "vanilla" Drupal or WordPress, with no customizations or UT-specific code.
If you need university-approved branding, you should always use one of the two available custom distributions -- UT Drupal Kit or WordPress for Texas.
EID authentication for content editors in WordPress and Drupal 7 is only available with the WordPress for Texas custom distribution. EID authentication for content editors in Drupal 9 or 10 can be implemented with any version of Drupal.
The decision of which distribution to use for your new site is FINAL. You cannot change the distribution for a site after the fact, but would have to create a new site from scratch.