This site requires JavaScript to be enabled
Recent searches

Valid Forms of Identification for ID Cards and EID Upgrades

Number of views : 141
Article Number : KB0011334
Published on : 2019-01-17
Last modified : 2019-01-17 17:13:56
Knowledge Base : IT Public Self Help

You must present a valid, current government-issued photo ID proving your identity to receive an ID card or EID upgrade. Photos on file at the ID Center are NOT valid forms of identification.

In accordance with the University Identification Card Guidelines, the list of acceptable forms of identification has been provided for verification purposes. ID Center officials must adhere to these policies at all times.

Accepted forms of government-issued proof of identification:
(photo IDs not listed here will NOT be considered valid)

  • Driver's license from the United States or Canada or State ID

  • Valid learner's permit or temporary license (must include photograph) from the United States or Canada

  • U.S. Military ID (Common Access CardUniformed Services Card)

  • U.S. or foreign passport

  • Alien registration card with photo (form I-151 or I-551)

  • U.S. citizen ID card (form I-197)

  • Resident citizen card (form I-179)

  • U.S. Employment Authorization Card - EAD (form I-766)

  • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card

  • Trusted Traveler Program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

If you do not have a valid ID, the ID Center will not be able to issue you an ID card nor upgrade your UT EID. See I Don't Have Valid ID to learn what your alternatives are.

Note: If it will take some time to obtain a valid ID, be aware that a large portion of university business can be conducted without a UT ID card or without an upgraded UT EID.

If you absolutely need your ID card or an upgraded UT EID immediately, and you don't have any valid identification, we recommend two options for acquiring a valid ID:

  • Contact an individual (Parent Guardian) to have them overnight your identification to you.

  • Contact your local Department of Public Safety (DPS) or Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). These offices are typically equipped to accept forms of identification which we cannot (for example: birth certificates, Social Security cards, and voter registration cards). For a full list of acceptable forms, please see the Texas Department of Public Safety website or contact your local DPS or DMV office.

Once you receive a valid form of identification, bring it to the ID Center to obtain your replacement UT ID card.

If you are unable to provide the ID Center with a valid form of identification we will not be able to provide you with an ID card or EID upgrade.





Thank You! Your feedback has been submitted.