Duo Help Video from ITS
In this video, UT’s Information Technology Services (ITS), introduces Duo, a multi-factory authentication service. Duo is used as an extra layer of security to protect sensitive information. Essentially, it is a second secure log in. Watch this video to see how to set up Duo.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
Authentication is the process by which a system determines that you are who you claim to be.
There are multiple factors of authentication, which can be broken down into categories like such:
- Something you know, such as a password.
- Something you have, such as your mobile phone.
- Something you are (i.e., biometrics), such as your fingerprint.
When you use more factors of authentication, the system can be more confident that you are who you claim to be, leading to better security.
For example, your password might be comprised when a web site gets hacked, but with multi-factor authentication that password is useless without your mobile phone.
Why am I being asked to complete MFA?
To better protect the security of your online information, the university has implemented MFA using the Duo product. This system will come up when you log into any university web application protected by MFA.
Before you can complete the authentication process, you will need to enroll a device. The recommended device is a smartphone or tablet, such as an iPhone or Android device.
If you have not enrolled a device please follow the instructions below. You will need your chosen device handy to complete this process.
The Duo product includes a "Remember Me" function which can greatly reduce the number of times you need to use Multi-Factor Authentication to sign on.
This feature is explained in more detail (including limitations and troubleshooting) in the following article:
Available Authentication Methods
|Pushes a request to your phone or tablet (if you have the Duo Mobile application installed and activated on your iOS, Android, or Windows Phone device). Just review the request and tap Approve.
|Receive a phone call and follow the instructions.
|Enter a Passcode
|Enter a passcode, generated with the Duo Mobile application, sent to you via SMS text, or generated by your hardware token. Click the Enter a Passcode to make use of this functionality.
|Use Touch ID
In order to use Apple Touch ID, make sure you have the following:
|Use Security Key
Authenticate with a touch of a button (no passcode needed).
The generic term is "security key" and one example is the YubiKey, a product made by YubiCo.
Note regarding security keys:
|Use Hardware Token
Authenticate with a one time passcode generated from a portable hardware token. The generic term is "hard token" or "token".
Registering Backup Devices
The university strongly recommends that you register more than one device.
- In the event that your primary device is lost/stolen/broken, you can use your backup device to remove the lost/stolen/broken device and add a new one.
- In the event that your smartphone or tablet is reset to factory settings, you can use your backup device to remove and re-add that smartphone or tablet.
- If you do not configure a backup device, you will need to contact the UT Service Desk if your only device becomes lost, stolen, broken, or reset.
Registration Steps for New Users
The first step in registration is to enroll your device using your UT EID.
The device you enroll will be used when you are prompted to authenticate by university web applications protected by MFA (e.g., Workday).
The instructions below will guide you through the setup.
1. Click HERE to go to the Self-Registration Portal.
2. Sign on with your UT EID and EID password.
3. Select the "Start Setup" button.
4. Next, select "Mobile Phone" or "Landline".
5. Input your number, verify that it is correct, and hit continue.
6. If you chose "landline" you are all setup and ready to go. If you chose "mobile phone," specify your device type and hit continue.
7. If you already have the Duo Mobile application installed on your phone, select "I have Duo Mobile Installed".
- If you have not installed the Duo Mobile application, select that option.
8. A QR code will appear. Open Duo Mobile. Tap the "+" button. Scan the QR code on the screen.
Registering Other Devices
For help registering other devices with Duo, please visit our Device Management article in the link below: